Ed Alcock for The New York Times

We didn’t come for the miles of shoreline, the promise of seafood feasts or the many history-rich towns. Even the dramatic views and craggy cliffs weren’t a draw. There was only one thing that lured my husband, Mahir, and me to Brittany in northwestern France: salted butter caramel candies.

Sweets have always tested my resistance, but salted butter caramels have left me defenseless since I first tasted them in a Paris shop selling handmade candies more than a decade ago.
There’s no shortage of salted caramel iterations in my hometown, New York City. What was once an exotic-sounding indulgence now seems ubiquitous, from salted caramel chocolate bars sold at the corner drugstore to restaurants offering their rendition of it in cakes, ice creams and sauces.

But the original buttery wrapped candies that I fell hard for, called caramels au beurre salé, originated in Brittany, and I decided to enjoy them in their most authentic form in the place they were born.
More