Thursday, January 15, 2015

NYC's Bonnie Slotnick Cookbooks finds new home

Shelf Awareness


Slotnick
Bonnie Slotnick Cookbooks, which announced in November that it was being forced out of its Greenwich Village location, has found a new space and will reopen soon in an 1830s brick rowhouse at 28 East Second Street, Jeremiah's Vanishing New York reported, adding that "the story of how she got it might renew your faith in New York City and the life of its book culture."

According to Slotnick, "Margo and Garth Johnston, siblings who own the house, called and invited me to be their tenant in the ground-floor commercial space. Read that again, jaded New Yorkers! These wonderful people read of my plight and reached out to me because, in their eyes, a bookstore is the ideal tenant.

"Their late mother, Eden Ross Lipson, was the longtime children's book editor at the New York Times Book Review, and it's a book-loving family. It's also a family that prizes the history and traditions of their neighborhood and appreciates the plight of the small-business owner."

Slotnick expressed sadness about leaving her friends on West Tenth Street, "but I look forward to reopening my shop--in a bigger space with a back garden, no less--on East Second Street. I hope to do that right around February 1, even if the place is not yet picture-perfect. I know my loyal customers will only have eyes for the books!"

No comments:

Post a Comment