Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Living the life – summer days are here

Living the life – summer days are hereShared Kitchen is set for a mega month of cooking classes in February, including Thai and Middle Eastern foods, Vegan and Vegetarian classes, Barbecues and Rubs & Marinades, and classes for beginners, too. I’m also running new Summer Sunset Classes that you can tie in to a visit to Waiheke during Waitangi weekend, or add to the end of a day after attending the highly acclaimed Headland Sculpture on the Gulf. See the full schedule

Don’t you hate it when you’ve planned a barbecue and the weather turns on you?
The
chicken skewers featured below are fantastic cooked on a barbecue hot plate (griddle), but they fare pretty well cooked in batches in a ridged grill pan if you have to move indoors. Haven’t got a ridged grill pan? They are a worthy addition to a kitchen in my opinion, especially for quick bruschetta and for cooking steaks. Back to the chicken … these succulent little morsels – oh, watch the heat always with chicken, especially when honey is involved, or you’ll get a blackened exterior with a raw centre – are served on a salad of cos leaves, watermelon, feta, sizzled bits of lemon zest, mint and salted pepitas (pumpkin seeds). I’m not going to lie and say you can knock this lot up after work, but it can mostly be made in advance so it’s great for entertaining. Chicken Skewers on watermelon & Feta Salad

I’ve been getting heaps of Google hits on my posts on
plum jam, and as plums are in full swing I thought it timely to bring up the post again. My advice is to read through the whole thing, especially if you are a novice jam-maker, and make a small batch first because it is easier (and safer) to deal with successfully.

And how about this ridiculously decadent way with sweet corn – slathered in butter AND mayo, tarragon and parmesan cheese. You haven’t tried it? It’s, well, as I said, ridiculously decadent and I must limit myself to just one helping of it every season (I don’t always manage that!).
Sweet Corn with Lime & Tarragon Mayo

I’ve updated my post on FURI knives this week to include new innovations. I’ve been using my FURI knife for 15 years and you can see it alongside a new knife – it’s hard to tell the difference. These Australian designed knives are made with Japanese steel and have a 25-year warranty. Mine looks like it will more than go that distance.

If you are new to Shared Kitchen take a moment to check out the fabulous trip I am hosting to
Puglia in May. You can make your own way from New Zealand, or if you are already in Europe, pick up the tour from there. Puglia is an undiscovered foodie’s paradise and this will be a sensational trip staying in gorgeous places off the beaten track.

Finally, some days, even experienced cooks will agree, don’t produce great results. I’m brutally honest about my latest escapade in the kitchen.
Read it here.

Have a good one!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment