Saturday, January 7, 2017

How following a recipe can lead to disaster



DavidLebovitz


Jacques Pepin: How following a recipe can lead to disaster
David, 07 Jan 06:57 AM


I recently came across this spot-on video by chef Jacques Pépin, which hit the nail squarely on the head regarding cooking and following recipes. I was particularly impressed by how he was able to explain what can go wrong when you do so. Most people who write recipes for a living spend a lot of time writing them as clearly and accurately as possible. Still, even the best recipe isn’t foolproof, and most are open to interpretation. (Except for my recipe for roasted peppers, which someone asked if they could make using something other than peppers. That one stumped me.)

Questions on recipes range from, “Can I substitute something for the flour?” and “Can I reduce the amount of sugar?” to the more nebulous “The recipe didn’t come out. What did I do wrong?”





1px

No comments:

Post a Comment