Monday, February 23, 2015

Bars and bookshops !


Are there places I like as much as great bars? Yes: great bookshops. And if I had to pick a favorite in the latter category, it’s Dog Ears Book Barn in the little town of Hoosick, N.Y. Conveniently, it’s just a little ways down Route 7 from the Man of Kent, one of America’s best bars. 
A couple of hours spent digging through Dog Ears for treasure, then bringing those books to the Man of Kent and perusing them over a few pints for a few more hours? That’s what I call a perfect day.


But even perfection can be improved upon. The last time I went to Dog Ears, I headed straight for the cookbook section, where there’s a subsection for books on cocktails and other drink-related matters. As I approached, I saw the buttery yellow cover, dense with black-and-red lettering, of “The Savoy Cocktail Book,” an enlarged edition published in 1933. Book collectors with purist streaks may be unimpressed that it isn’t a first edition, but I couldn’t believe my luck. The pages may have looked just about ready to unyoke themselves from the diminished binding, but the gorgeous, exuberantly colorful printing and Art Deco illustrations remained pristine.

More



The Goldfish Credit Davide Luciano for The New York Times. Food stylist: Claudia Ficca. Prop stylist: Micah Morton. 

No comments:

Post a Comment