Saturday, September 5, 2015

Amora Dijon Mustard

DavidLebovitz

Amora Dijon Mustard
David, 04 Sep 05:59 AM

The funny thing about having a blog is that you become “searchable.” I’ve changed my tune many times, which astute readers often note, on everything from where my favorite croissant can be found (in 2007), where I get my falafel fix (a change from 2005), to what French butter I prefer (in 2008). C’est normale. Bakeries change hands, restaurants slip in quality, or, more recently, you redesign your blog and decide to go back and update pictures and older posts as you land on them. But with 1753 posts here, it’s hard to keep them all updated, while still moving forward
Dijon French MustardLast night I was having drinks with a new friend and I told her about a great restaurant somewhere that she was going to visit. For the life of me, I couldn’t remember the name of it. And now, the morning after, I can’t even remember where she was going so I could send her the link to it! I guess I could compare myself to a computer; if you put too much information in, you’re going to run out of memory. So my blog is like my “cloud” in a way, where the information is retrievable – even if my brain crashes.
Like croissants and butter, Dijon mustard is a big deal in France. It’s the condiment of choice and the French have adopted le ketchup, a condiment that they have a love/hate relationship with. It was famously banned in school cafeterias, which may have created more of a stir in America than in France, but the shelves of les supermarchés have plenty of bottles of Heinz on hand, and other brands, to feed the local appetite for what is often an international symbol of la cuisine américaine. (Never mind that I’m from Northern California, and spend time in New York, so my symbols are heirloom tomatoes, local greens, and pastured meat. And ketchup isn’t even American, but an Asian-inspired condiment, likely derived from a Chinese sauce made with fermented fish.)
Dijon French MustardIn spite of the emergence of ketchup appearing on some French tables, Dijon mustard is still the king of the condiments. Many Americans got their first taste of Dijon mustard via Grey Poupon, now made by an American company (it’s hardly available in France, although there is a store in Dijon that apparently sells it), courtesy of some witty commercials that featured a gentleman in a Rolls-Royce pulling up alongside another limo politely requesting some Grey Poupon.
Continue Reading Amora Dijon Mustard...

1px

No comments:

Post a Comment